Forum Moto Szczecinek Strona Główna
POMOC Rejestracja SzukajFAQ Zaloguj
How to Survive Being an Interstate Medical Student

Odpowiedz do tematu    Forum Moto Szczecinek Strona Główna » Sugestie , pomysły Zobacz poprzedni temat
Zobacz następny temat
How to Survive Being an Interstate Medical Student
Autor Wiadomość
Jobayet Hossen
rowerzysta

Post How to Survive Being an Interstate Medical Student Odpowiedz z cytatem
Starting med school is a big jump, but when you add moving hundreds of kilometres interstate it gets a little more complicated. Leaving family and friends behind, surviving financially, deciphering Centrelink instructions and creating your own support networks while pursuing full-time study is hard work at the best of times, let alone in a pandemic when state borders close with a moment’s notice.

At times it may feel impossible, but as a seasoned interstater (as my peers and I have lovingly coined) I can assure you that you can most certainly do this. When my journey began as an 18-year-old leaving family and friends back home in Melbourne to study medicine in Adelaide, I was completely unaware Baricinix 2 mg of what lay ahead. I could never have imagined that within the first few weeks of moving I would be meeting the people I would come to consider family and with whom I share a whole new life. The beauty of such a life-changing transition is the immense possibility for adventure and growth that awaits you - get excited for it!

To make you a little more practically prepared for this epic change, I spoke to some fiercely independent and driven interstate medical students, Noa and Nikita, about how they managed their transition into the beginnings of their medical careers, far away from home. We talked about money, mental health and navigating a global pandemic while studying full time.

Noa Kolkovski
Noa is a 3rd year medical student at the University of Melbourne who moved from Perth in 2019.

1. Why did you decide to move interstate to pursue your medical degree? What was the toughest part about making this decision? And the best part?
The University of WA was my first preference, but the year that I applied there was a transition from a post-graduate only course to an undergraduate course so they were only taking 20 post grads. I had no chance. My other preference was Melbourne Uni and this is where I ended up. The best part about moving to Melbourne was how I got to be part of a very dynamic city and a very diverse community here, much more than in WA. The toughest part was knowing that I would be leaving my boyfriend. That was a decision I couldn't make by myself because I have a partner that I've decided I'm going to be with long-term. I had to make that decision with him, and it was a lot of, “how much do you prioritise us and how much do you prioritise your career?” That was very difficult.

2. How do you manage the financial aspect of living interstate? Have you developed any tips or strategies to get by? How does this change as you progress in your medical degree?
When I moved, my parents were both unemployed, so I knew there was going to be no financial input from them. In the first six months after moving, I was living off my savings. Melbourne Uni doesn't grant scholarships until midway through the year and from January to May I had no Centrelink because I was still dependent. That was pretty tough. I started med school in January with $9,000. By May, I had about a hundred dollars in my account.

Pią Lut 02, 2024 05:16 Ogląda profil użytkownika Wyślij prywatną wiadomość Odwiedź stronę autora
Reklama

Pią Lut 02, 2024 05:16
Skocz do: